The Thieves Blend of Oils
There are many uses for the Thieves blend of essential oils. The oil is most usually a blend of Cinnamon, Clove, Eucalyptus, Lemon and Rosemary essential oils.
History has it that a blend of essential oils now known as "Thieves" or "4 Thieves" essential oil has been around since the Great Plague of London in the 17th Century and may have been around for other earlier plague outbreaks (the first outbreak was in the mid-14th Century).
There are more than 17 different versions of the thieves story. In one version, the thieves were spice traders, perfumers and merchants trapped in England during an outbreak of the Black Plague (there were many such outbreaks). The traders turned to looting the homes and bodies of the plague victims (which no one else wanted to go near) as a way of getting money. They applied vinegar, oils and spices to their bodies and believed they would not get sick. When the King found out, he sent his constables out to capture the thieves. Four thieves were caught and given the choice of either sharing their secret formula for immunity or else being put to death. Needless to say, they shared their formula and the formula was posted by the King all over the city.
Benefits of Thieves Oil
The essential oils used in the Thieves blend are antiviral, anti fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-microbial. The blend can be used to provide healthy immune system support, help fight the common cold, alleviate minor aches, pains and insect bite stings and to support the lungs and sinuses. It can also be used for household cleaning and purifying the air. Household cleaning can include cleaning keyboards, pillows, furniture, bathrooms, kitchen counters, gym equipment, vehicle, desks, door handles, light switches, remote controls, etc.
Recipes for Thieves Blend of Oils
40 drops of Clove, 35 drops of Lemon, 20 drops of Cinnamon Bark, 16 drops of Eucalyptus and 12 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil
Equal parts of Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus and Rosemary Essential Oil.
Uses for the Thieves Blend of Oils
Use 1 drop of Thieves blend to each ounce of water (or Witch Hazel), or for a stronger solution, use 1 drop of Thieves blend to each 0.5 ounce of water. Add the oil before the water. Shake vigorously before each use.
Topical Application and Massage
Mix 1 drop Thieves blend to 4-6 drops of carrier oil. Massage on the feet for healthy immune system support or when your immune system is under stress. This can also be massaged, in small areas, onto the lower back, thighs and back of neck for minor aches and pains. For a more general massage oil, use 8 drops of Thieves blend to 8 ounces of carrier oil. For minor cuts and scrapes you can dilute 1 drop Thieves blend to 4 drops carrier oil and apply to the scrap or put on the gauze or band-aid to cover the cut.
- - Add 5-6 drops of Thieves blend per load of laundry or put 4-5 drops on a cloth and place in the clothes dryer.
- Cell Phones and Keyboards
- - Spray Thieves all-purpose spray lightly on a cloth and gently wipe the device.
- - Add 4-5 drops of Thieves blend to the dishwasher. This cleans the dishes and eliminates build up and odours.
- - Add 2 drops of Thieves blend to every 4 ounces of water and spray plants to repel aphids.
- - Add 10-15 drops of Thieves blend to your cleaning water before washing the floors.
- - Spray Thieves all-purpose spray on counters and surfaces and wipe, to clean and deodorize the surface.
- Pet Beds
- - Spray Thieves all-purpose spray onto the bedding to kill germs and pet odours.
- Air Cleaner/Freshener
- - Spray Thieves all-purpose spray into the air as an air freshener or diffuse the oil for 20 minutes or less, at work or at home.